It’s that time of the year again! The Autumn tradition is to head out to your favorite pumpkin patch, and pick your perfect pumpkin! Carve it up for Halloween or turn it into pumpkin pie! It’s something that everyone in the family can enjoy. Silicon Valley has many places for you to choose the best pumpkin, and entertain the kids as well. It’s as American as pumpkin – I mean – apple pie!
When it comes to the best pumpkin patches, Half Moon Bay deserves a special mention. After all, Half Moon Bay proudly holds the title of "Pumpkin Capital of the World" and hosts the annual "Half Moon Bay Art & Pumpkin Festival." Don't miss this year's 51st Annual Half Moon Bay Art & Pumpkin Festival taking place on October 14-15, 2023. The fun includes:
- The Great Pumpkin Run has been a tradition in Half Moon Bay for many years and takes participants along the beautiful Coastal Trail overlooking the Pacific Ocean.
- "Farmer Mike" has become a beloved fixture at the Festival. for more than three decades, festival-goers have eagerly gathered around his elevated stage, as he intricately sculpts enormous pumpkins into awe-inspiring masterpieces.
- The world's largest pumpkin sculpture, the creation of creative genius Peter Hazel, will also be at the festival. This unique mosaic sculpture, crafted from steel, cement, and ceramic tile, stands at 11 feet tall, stretches 12 feet in length, and weighs an astonishing 10,000 pounds.
Queen's Pumpkin Patch
There is so much to do at the Queen's Pumpkin Patch in Saratoga. Ride the cow train or paddle around in their bumper boats. There's also pumpkin painting, a petting zoo, a climbing wall, hamster balls, and a hay maze. Take a hay ride through the pumpkin patch and sunflower fields. Two years ago, they added a giant pumpkin slingshot. A ticket gets you 5 pumpkins to test out your skills!
Admission is $4.
- Address: 12985 Saratoga Ave, Saratoga, CA 95070
- Phone: (408) 252-9820
- Hours: 9 am – 9 pm (daily)
ABC Farms & Pick of the Patch Pumpkins
You don't have to travel too far to find your perfect pumpkin. ABC Farms & Pick of the Patch Pumpkins has 19 locations in the Bay Area with seven in the South Bay. Each offers a variety of varied and fun activities for everyone, including “inflatable” amusements for children ages two to 12 years old and beautifully decorated “memory lanes” for taking photos. Visit the haunted house at the original pumpkin patch at Tully and East Capitol Expressway. Besides having a lot of fun, there are plenty of different varieties of pumpkins to choose from.
Admission is free to the pumpkin patches, however, there is a charge for some amusements, as well as food and drinks. Check their website for a complete list of locations and hours. Some locations offer pumpkin delivery. ABC Farms is family owned and operated.
- Address: Located throughout the Bay Area including the South Bay, East Bay, and Peninsula, with multiple locations in Santa Clara and San Jose. Click the link below for locations, activities, and hours:
San Carlos: 900 Block NE El Camino Real, 94070
San Mateo: 1801 S. Delaware St. at Concar Dr., 94402
Burlingame: 1810 El Camino Real at Trousdale Drive, 94010
Fremont: 4020 Fremont Hub (corner of Fremont Blvd at Mowry Ave), 94538
Santa Clara: 2610 El Camino Real at Moonlite Center Shopping Center, 95051
Santa Clara: 3590 Benton Street @ Lawrence Expressway, 95051
San Jose: 1832 Hillsdale Ave (In front of Big Lots), 95124
San Jose: 2310 Canoas Garden Ave, 95125
San Jose: 605 Blossom Hill Road, 95123
San Jose: Tully Road at Eastridge Way, 2200 Eastridge Loop, 95122
San Jose: 450 N Capitol Avenue, 95133
- Phone: (408) 393-6303
- Hours: Hours vary by location. Click on a link (above) to go directly to the location's website for information about hours and activities.
Spina Farms is located in Coyote Valley between San Jose and Morgan Hill, and hosts one of the largest pumpkin patches in the Bay Area. Select your pumpkins from over 25 unique varieties. Tour the pumpkin patch on the new Spina Pumpkin Express Train, or explore the Sunflower fields on an old-fashioned hay ride! There's even a barrel ride for your "little pumpkins". If that’s not enough, get lost in the corn maze and launch pumpkins from giant cannons! Food and drinks are available for purchase. Parking is free M-TH, and $10 FRI, SAT & SUN. No dogs allowed.
- Address: Santa Teresa Blvd at Bailey Ave, San Jose, CA 95141
- Phone: (650) 763-6935
- Hours: Oct 1 - 31th: Sun – Thu 9am – 8pm & Fri – Sat 9am – 9pm; Nov 1 – 6th: Tue - Thu 9am – 6pm & Fri – Sun 9am – 7pm.
Webb Ranch Pumpkin Patch
The family-owned and operated Webb Ranch has a 30-acre pumpkin patch featuring more than 20 varieties of organic pumpkins. Open 7 days a week with additional activities on the weekend, including a hay ride, train ride, corn maze, petting zoo, and reptile exhibit. New this year are the Haunted House inside the corn maze and a farm-themed obstacle course. For the activities, you must purchase an activity pass online before arriving at the farm as attendance is limited. No activity pass is required for just pumpkin picking. No dogs allowed.
- Address: 2718 Alpine Road, Portola Valley, CA 94028
- Phone: (650) 854-6334
- Hours: 10am - 6pm (daily)
Arata Pumpkin Farm
Established in 1932, the Arata Pumpkin Farm is the oldest working pumpkin farm in Silicon Valley, and has something for everyone! Challenge yourself in their two-acre Minotaur’s Labyrinth hay maze. Scare yourself silly in their haunted barn. Or enjoy a hay ride. There are picnic areas throughout the farm, for when you want to relax and refuel. Lots of things for kids: Play Land playground with a miniature version of a hay maze, a train ride, guided pony rides and petting zoo! Bring your dog!
- Address: 185 Verde Rd, Half Moon Bay, CA 94019
- Phone: (650) 726-7548
- Hours: Sun – Thu 9am – 6:30pm & Fri – Sat 9am-10:30pm
There’s lots of fun to be had at Lemos Farm! Pick your pumpkins from an amazing pumpkin patch. Enjoy pony rides, train rides, a petting zoo, bounce houses, Goat Yoga, and more. Enjoy pumpkin ice cream on the ghost train, or dig into pumpkin pie on one of their hay rides. In October the farm converts into a Halloween extravaganza. No wonder it’s considered a Halloween tradition! There is a live band and lots of Halloween-themed activities. Purchase an admission pass prior to your visit to the farm so as not to be disappointed. There are also a limited amount of tickets at the entrance for walk-ins.
- Address: 12320 San Mateo Road, Half Moon Bay, CA 94019
- Phone: (650) 726-2342
- Hours: Open daily 9am – 5pm to Oct 31st to Thanksgiving. Open weekends only in November.
Farmer John’s Pumpkin Farm
Farmer John’s Pumpkin Farm is located on a working farm where you can learn everything you wanted to know about pumpkins directly from Farmer John. If all you want is pumpkins without all the other activities, this is the place for you. You will find more than 60 varieties of pumpkins and squash, including their Atlantic Giant, which can weigh anywhere from 250 and 500 pounds! Farmer John's sells pumpkin seeds for the green thumb to plant in their own backyard. Take your camera for the many photo opportunities, including the giant pumpkin display, authentic Native American Teepee, vintage tractor and rolling fields of pumpkins. Dogs are welcome on the farm.
- Address: 850 N Cabrillo Highway (1 mile North of Hwy 92), Half Moon Bay, CA 94019
- Phone: (650) 726-4980
- Hours: Open daily 9am – 6pm to Oct 31st.